Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Price Changes and Professional Photography


Our pricing is changing as of April 2nd, 2013. We have been working on pricing structure for many weeks now and working with a business coach. I want to use this blog post as an opportunity to educate how and why our prices are changing the way they are. Also, we are allowing our clients to lock in current pricing if their full deposit is made by April 1st. 

Now the question we hear now and will no doubt hear again is, "Why are you so expensive?". The truth is, we're not expensive. We have actually always been on the lower end, price wise, of Professional Photography. Our new pricing will put us in the average cost bracket for Professional Photography. That question comes up because someone is trying to compare us to Cousin Helen's college roommate who got a camera for Christmas and is charging $50 for a session and cd of images to make some extra cash. I am in no way trying to put down the roommate with a camera, but she is not a Professional Photographer. There is a difference in quality, expertise, training and experience. Did I start out as a Professional Photographer? Of course not, and my prices reflected that. My images and services also reflected that.

Why does a Professional Photographer get to charge so much? Well, we don't "get" to. There is much cost in being a Professional Photographer. Equipment, backdrops, software, payroll for employees, taxes, memberships (for things like PPA), insurance, website, etc...  A Professional Photographer runs a legitimate business. We pay sales tax. We are a registered business like any other business. This is our livelihood. My family lives off of our photography. I don't pocket all of the price that you see. Like any other real business, I am paid 10%. Taxes get 30% and 60% goes to the business to cover cost of goods and overhead like mentioned above.

Why choose a Professional Photographer? Because we have studied our craft; continue to do so. We understand directing a client to look their best. We understand service and quality of the end product. Professional Photographers don't shoot and burn. Professional Photographers spend an average of 40 hours on one wedding. We love what we do, but we cannot do it for free. This is not a hobby or a way to make extra cash for us. This is our career. Photography is our livelihood.

Again, I am not trying to put down amateur photographers. I know a few of them. Some people are okay with shoot and burn for $50. That is okay. People are different and we get to choose what works for us. Our clients aren't after a deal. Our clients choose us because of the service, experience and quality that only we can provide them. Our clients want archived portraits and our artistic style. I can only be the best me that I can be. And I am a Professional Photographer. My husband has now come along side to do this full-time with me. We travel around the country shooting weddings. Our studio is located in our home in the city of  Eaton, Ohio. Our portrait and my glamour clients come from as far as  Dayton, Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

Thank you for letting me share a little bit about Professional Photography and what it means. I love what I do. And remember that our new prices are allowing us to give you better service and products.

Don't forget to check out our website: www.marvelous-works.com  The website will be getting a relaunch on April 2nd as well. You will also get to see us in Stylish Bride - Midwest online magazine that comes out on Friday. And you can now find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mworksphoto

Stay Marvelous!
Brianna

P.S. I do want to mention that there are some Professional Photographers out there who are not charging what they should (I was one of them). For those of you who fit that - please check out this video on fear  from Sue Bryce

No comments:

Post a Comment